Franklin County Towns

Franklin County - located in west central Maine, was formed from towns and land previously belonging to Kennebec, Oxford, and Somerset counties on May 9, 1838. Smaller adjustments were made during the following fourteen years. See an 1861 map of the county in the Map Cabinet.

 

The county extends from Chesterville, New Sharon, and Farmington in the south, to Coburn Gore and Gorham Gore bordering the province of Quebec in the north. Its 1,700 square miles includes a campus of the University of Maine, ski resorts, and a portion of the Appalachian Trail.

 

Currently the county consists of the following:  towns of Avon, Carrabassett Valley, Carthage, Chesterville, Eustis, Farmington, Industry, Jay, Kingfield, New Sharon, New Vineyard, Phillips, Rangeley, Salem, Strong, Temple, Weld, and Wilton; plantations of Coplin, Rangeley, and Sandy River; and several unorganized townships.

 

The town of Farmington is the County Seat, hosting the county government, courthouse, and the county jail.

 

In 2010, Franklin County was Maine’s second smallest county by population at  2.3% of the state’s total, with a census count of 30,768, a 4.4% increase over 2000.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

For more information on Maine, please visit Maine: An Encyclopedia

 

 

“Map of Franklin County 18580.” Main title: “A Topographical Map of Franklin County, Maine.” 1861. Walling, Henry Francis. W. E. Baker. New York. 1861.  LC classification: G3733.F7 1861 .W3.  Repository: Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu. Digital ID: G3733F La000267 Http://Hdl.Loc.Gov/Loc.Gmd/G3733F.La000267. Image source:  http://www.loc.gov/item/2012592365 (accessed January 14, 2016)